Monday, October 1, 2007

NM definition part 2: Lev Manovich

a)Lev Manovich's definition of New Media is generally the first one brought up when trying to define the topic, and is almost always followed by several questions starting with "But...".
Along this same line I would have to apply his "myth of interactivity" to myself, in that I think my project and ideas both agree and disagree with him. Interactivity is a word that is often taken either far too literally or used as a blanket statement to cover a lack of concrete ideas, and I will not be the last person to honestly say "yes, I am guilty of that". Based on the definition he gives, interactivity can have a wide range of uses, but it is really up to the individual to define it for each situation.

b) For the most part I do agree with Manovich and his definition. I especially like the section detailing "What New Media is Not", in that it addresses the most common issue of people shoehorning concepts into New Media on the basis of it just being around in the digital age. This defeats of the point of calling it "new" if everything that exists now can be put in this category.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home